April 29th, 2012
A friend of mine recently had a daughter and I wanted to make a quilt for her. Decided not to use a pattern and just winged it. I was a little nervous about how the piano key border would turn out, but I think it looks nice and will definitely do it again!
I used a layer cake for this project, the fabric is Sophie by Chez Moi for Moda. I pulled out the greens and deep reds. The backing and binding are fabrics from a local fabric store.
For the quilt tag I used a font from Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection by Aimee Ray for Bailey’s name.
Size is roughly 53 x 53
August 30th, 2011
Things have been a little slow on the sewing front. I’m being entirely too indecisive on what I want to do with the Parisville pack. Squares or Diamonds on point? Bricks? I don’t know. I do know I picked up about 6 yards of Kona in a purple/plum color for the sashing. That was at least a step in the right direction.
Recently I purchased up a couple of embroidery books that have inspired me to make some quilt tags.
Embroidered Effects by Sublime Stitching – pure awesome because it comes with loads of iron-on transfers.
Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection – includes a disc with hundreds of transfers. Love this because you can size them to fit whatever you want.
Both the Gnome and the Love Bear I used for my tags are free patterns from BadBird. Nothing beats free.
My husband was on a scroll saw kick and made me a couple of thread holders. I love them!
Hopefully I’ll be motivated to start that quilt soon…
July 25th, 2010
I haven’t worked on much this week because I wasn’t feeling very good. I thought I’d upload some pics of things I’ve made in the past and the Make Life quilt I started for Tori.
Here are some colorful cotton coasters that I LOVE. I used this pattern but with a G hook and for the last round I switched out the color. They work up pretty quickly and I love that they’re square rather than round.
Here are some embroidery/cross stitch things I completed a few months back. Not sure what I’ll do with them but I may turn the sugar skull into some kind of pillow.
Lastly… a couple of market bags I crocheted last winter. We really just use them for library books and the girls use them for different things.
May 17th, 2010
I am really excited to start my next project. I purchased this pattern from Gina Matarazzo. She has great taste and you should visit her Etsy shop. Since this is only my 4th embroidery project I’m going to try to match some of the colors she’s used. I love her finished product.
This is going to be a gift for Paul and I’m not sure if I should frame it or turn it into a pilow. The pillow is another challenge considering I’ve never really sewn anything, so I need to keep that in mind.
Over lunch break I picked up the Doodle Stitching book by Aimee Ray and can’t wait to look through it. Since I’m only familiar with a few stitches I think it will help me greatly. Plus it will give me some project ideas because I don’t know what to stitch!
May 15th, 2010
Just finished up my second embroidery project. This one is another hot iron transfer and it went a lot faster. Think I’m getting the hang of it. I really like the blanket stitch around the border of the tea towels.
May 1st, 2010
The WHOLE reason I started this blog…. I have so many craft projects going on at any one time it’s not funny. I’ve thought about blogging them for years but have been a little lazy. Flickr is my friend for many reasons, one being it’s a great place for inspiration. So I decided to bite the bullet, join in, start saving favorites and adding to some of the groups.
I’d like to get most of my recent projects loaded up (off to a good start with some of the jewelry and crochet items) and post what I’m currently working. More of a diary for my own self, I don’t see anyone reading this as I’m not going to share the fact that I started this thing.
So – here is my latest “phase”: embroidery. Here is my very first complete project and I plan on giving it to mom next time we’re down. I was able to use several different stitches and it turned out better than expected. I used an iron on transfer (a little scared to design my own for the first attempt) and think it turned out better than expected.
I present my tea towel:
So there you go. I’m probably going to give the blog a break for a few days and I do plan on getting some of my other stuff posted in here.