Ahh… Lavender sachet’s. I didn’t plan on blogging about these, but what the hey.
A few weeks ago I started using lavender spray* on my sheets. I’ve never used it before and the last two weeks I’ve had massively vivid dreams that I actually remember. It’s kind of crazy and I think it’s from the lavender. Thoughts on that?
Since I’ve become addicted to the scent at bedtime, I decided to make a sachet for my pillow (ie: lay sachet directly on my face!).
There are oodles of cute examples on Flickr and I’m sure you can figure out how to make these, but here’s what I did:
Two 4″ squares of linen or other loosely woven material
4″ Decorative ribbon
Optional: Ribbon for hanging
- Attach decorative ribbon to a square by stitching down each side of the ribbon.
- Place the two linen squares together, right sides facing.
- Optional: Fold your 2nd ribbon in half and place between the two squares. The bulk of it between the squares; raw edges of all pieces face out.
- Sew a 1/4″ seam all the way round leaving a 1″ hole for turning.
- Turn it right side out and fill with lavender.
- Hand stitch the hole closed.
*Lavender spray. Make your own because it’s waaaaaay freaking cheaper than buying it. There are tons of variations out there on the interwebs. Basically you mix 10 drops of essential oil with a tablespoon of vodka or rubbing alcohol (these mix with the oil, while water doesn’t). Then mix with about a cup of water. There you go. Cheap linen spray. You can make bigger batches and adjust the drops to your preference.
I purchased my dried lavender and the ribbons on Etsy. Etsy is my weakness.
Hope my family likes lavender. The 3 cups I bought will probably make a dozen of these.